You may have seen this amazing pillow that Margaret Brown made for the recent Frou Frou launch:
Well, you all loved it so much Margaret has made a second pillow AND a fantastic tutorial to teach you how to make them, too! Take a look at her second version:
And here is how you can make one:
What you will need:
Frou Frou Digikit Collection CD-ROM
2 pieces of cotton fabric 17 inches square
4 pieces of Lace 17 ½ inches wide. (This lace should be 4 inches wide if possible with an edge to slot ribbon through. If not you will also 4 pieces if inch wide slotted lace. I used Broderie Anglaise for my cushions.)
Ribbon for threading and for the bow
Fabric transfer sheet
10 inch zip
Pieces of lace for trimming if required
To print your design:
1. Open up your Craft Artist programme
2. Choose Blank project
3. Choose 8x8 Scrapbook page
4. Load Frou Frou Digi Kits
5. Choose a square design; drop it onto your page and stretch to fill the whole page.
You can of course make your own design and add text. Remember if you add text you will need to use the 'arrange' tab on the right-hand side to flip image and text horizontally, so that when ironed onto fabric the text will be correct way.
6. Print page onto Transfer paper. Make sure you insert it the right way for your printer, you print onto the plain side.
To Make Cushion:
1. With right sides together stitch a 5/8 seam from each side leaving a 10 inch gap for the zip.
2. Open out the fabric and press the seams open.
3. Stitch in your zip.
4. Join the 4 pieces of lace together with a 5/8 seam at a 45degree angle. (Cut a square of card the depth of the lace fold diagonally corner to corner, this can be laid against the join to give the 45 degree angle. The top edge should be the widest.)
5. Trim seam to ¼ inch, overlock if you can to prevent fraying. Make sure you trim seam so that it doesn’t show in the corner. Press seam to one side.
6. Open up the fabric right side facing up.
7. Position your square of lace on one side, it should overlap the edges.
8. Stitch in place on the inside edge. If you are adding extra slotted lace for the ribbon it should be added now.
9. Now fold the lace towards the centre and with right sides facing pin and stich the remaining 5/8 seams on the other 3 sides. Make sure you do not catch the lace in the seam.
10. Trim seam allowance across the 4 corners to make it easier to get sharp corners. Go close but do not cut through the stitching.
11. Turn cushion right-side out and press.
12. Catch the 4 corners to the seams of the lace to hold the outside edge of the lace in place.
You are now ready to add the design that you have chosen. Trim around the picture leaving an excess of about ¼ inch. Following the instructions on the transfer paper, place your design face down in the centre of your lace square and iron onto cushion. Thread ribbon through the slotted lace, starting where you would like the bow to be. Tie the bow with the extra ends. Add the extra lace if required.
IF YOU WISH TO RE-IRON YOUR CUSHION YOU MUST PROTECT THE PICTURE WITH THE PAPER YOU PEELED OF. PLAIN SIDE DOWN ON THE PICTURE.
This tutorial will be available for download from our website very soon!