In the second episode of John Scott’s Sewing World, John was all about vivid fabrics from Kaffe Fassett and the Gemini Build-a-Block Dies. Combining them, he showed off the most beautiful cushions, which you can recreate by following the steps below! Try out this project with your favourite colours and prints for a personal touch.
You will need:
- Gemini Die-Cutting and Embossing Machine
- Gemini Build-a-Block Die Set
- Kaffe Fassett Fat Quarter bundle – Green
- 17″ x 17″ wadding
- 15″ x 15″ cushion pad
- 0.5m plain fabric
- Four 3.5″ squares solid coloured fabric
- Ten 3.5″ solid coloured fabric half square triangles
- Six 3.5″ patterned fabric half square triangles
- Two 6.5″ patterned fabric half square triangles
- Two 16″ x 12″ for the backing
- Two 14″ x 2.5″ patterned fabric for border
- Two 16″ x 2.5″ patterned fabric for border
Use a 0.25″ seam allowance throughout.
Sew together one solid and one patterned 3.5″ half square triangles together to make a triangle square press. Repeat five more times.
Sew a triangle square and a solid square together, and repeat, making a four patch block. Sew a second block, then press.
Sew two solid half square triangles to a triangle square to make a large triangle. Sew to the long side of the 6.5″ patterned half square triangle and repeat.
Sew the four blocks together. Refer to the photo for placement.
Add the borders to the top, bottom and sides.
Lay on top of the wadding and quilt as desired. Trim to 16″ x 16″.
To make the cushion back, fold over the long edge by ½” twice, press and sew, then repeat for the second piece. With right sides together, place the backing pieces on to the cushion front and sew around all four edges. Clip the corners, turn inside out and insert the cushion pad.