Using Zoom to join a Craft with Sara online workshop
If you’ve never used Zoom to join a virtual workshop before don’t worry we’re here to help! It’s so easy to use, you’ll be up and running in no time.
What is Zoom?
First things first!
Zoom is an online app or website that allows you to use video and audio to meet with people over the internet.
What do I need to use Zoom?
You will need a computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone device that is connected to the internet.
You will also need the Zoom App - this can be downloaded via the App Store on Apple devices or the Google Play Store on all other devices
Downloading Zoom onto your device
- Open the App Store or Google Play Store and search ‘Zoom’
- Select ‘Zoom Cloud Meetings’
- Download the App - you should now have Zoom on your device
How to join a Craft with Sara workshop using Zoom
- When you sign up to a Craft with Sara online workshop, we’ll send you a unique link via email
- This link will give you access to the session
- A few minutes before the workshop is due to begin, find somewhere quiet, get comfy and click on the link we have sent you
- This should open a ‘screen showing an option to ‘Join a meeting’ - click on this option
- You will then be asked to ‘Join with Video’ - click on this option
- Next, you’ll be asked to ‘Join with Audio’ - please opt not to join with audio so you will be muted - don’t worry you’ll have the chance to interact via the chat box function!
- You’ve joined the online workshop!
Zoom controls during a session
- You’ll see some icons at the bottom of the Zoom screen which will help you control your session
- There is an icon of a video camera - clicking on this will turn your camera on and off
- There is also an icon of a speaker - clicking on this will turn your microphone on and off
- Use the volume control on your device to manage how loud or quiet you’d like
Using the chat function during a Zoom call
Zoom offers a chat function so you can type out messages during a session, here’s how to use it!
- You’ll see a control button with a speech bubble icon - click on this
- Next to the ‘To:’ you’ll see a drop-down bar that will allow you to choose who to send your message to, select ‘Everyone’
- Type your message into the chat window and hit the Enter button to send!
Changing Zoom view
- To view Participant's video as a large Active Speaker panel, click the large Active Speaker Panel icon.
- To view a smaller version of the Active Speaker panel, click the smaller Active Speaker Panel icon.
- To view participants in Gallery View, select the 4x4 Grid icon, at the top of the panel.
- For best viewing experience Right Click on ‘Craft With Sara’ to Pin her to your main screen
Changing Zoom view on mobile
- Download the Zoom app for iOS or Android.
- Open the app and start or join a meeting.
- By default, the mobile app displays the Active Speaker View.
- Swipe left from Active Speaker View to display Gallery View.
- You can view up to 4 participants' thumbnails at the same time.
Changing Zoom view on Ipad
- To switch from Active Speaker View, tap Switch to Gallery View in the upper-left corner of the Zoom window. If you do not see the controls, tap your screen to get them to appear.
- Note: You can only switch to Gallery View if you have 2 or more participants in the meeting.
- To switch back to Active Speaker View, tap the screen to view the controls and tap Switch to Active Speaker in the top-left corner of the Zoom window.